27 February 2012

Sew your own Felt Cupcake!

These cupcakes are so easy to make and are great for pretend food for kids or as mini pincusions!

Good enough to eat!
This is a great project for beginners and young sewers. You will need:

Felt scraps
Embroidery floss
Needle
Cupcake cases
Stuffing


For these to work you need to choose a sturdy cupcake case, one made of light car. In the photo I have used Paper Eskimo ones which I purchased at Stevens or they would be available online.


Lets get started....


Sit your case on your chosen cloloured felt - here I am making a vanilla cupcake!
Basically draw a larger circle around your case adding about and an inch (3cm) all round.
Don't worry about making a perfect circle!


Cut out some decorations for the top. Here I am making a flower.
Using a couple of strands of floss I have whip stitched the centre to the petals.

Then I have whip stitched the flower onto the middle of the circle.
Flip your flat cupcake over and using 3 strands of floss use a running stitch all around the edge gather it together leaving an opening about an inch (3cm wide). Be sure to knot your floss off while it is still gathered.

Stuff with polyfill or cotton balls.
Cut a circle of felt slightly smaller then the base of your cupcake case. As you can see it doesn't have to be perfectly round!
Use whip stitch or blanket stitch to stitch the base on.

Flip it over and this is what the top looks like.

Just squish the cupcake into the case and you are done! Don't worry about glueing or securing it in. That way you can swap the cases and cupcakes around.

Have fun making different toppings, I have made sprinkles & cherries in the top photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback, it makes me feel loved!